Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sunset and Shadows Prayer Shawl

This is the prayer shawl I made for my best friend, who just lost her sister. It is thinner than the one I made for her mom, but better suited to the San Jose climate, where she lives. The colors reminded me of a sunset - darkness creeping in, but brilliant flashes of color painting the sky as a reminder that the sun will return.


I used 5 skeins of Charisma yarn in "Mountain Majesty" and an N hook. It measures approximately 22" x 62". It is crocheted in a simple shell stitch.

Here is the pattern:

Ch. 51
Row 1: 2dc, ch 1, 2dc in 6th chain from hook, skip 2 stitches, dc in next stitch, skip 2 stitches, *[2dc, ch 1, 2dc] in next stitch, skip 2 stitched, dc in next stitch, repeat from * 5 more times (7 shells, 8 posts)
Row 2-35: ch 3, *[2dc, ch, 2dc] in next shell chain space, dc in next dc, repeat from * 6 more times, ending with a dc in the top of the previous turning chain.
Row 36: ch 3, 6dc in each shell chain space across, end with dc in top of the previous turning chain.

Repeat rows 1 - 36 on opposite side of beginning chain. Fasten off, weave in ends.

I had one extra skein of yarn left over after I finished the shawl (I had bought 6), so I made a simple infinity scarf that can be worn when it's not practical to wear the shawl. I used the same pattern as my hooded infinity scarf, but started with 66 chains and only worked 5 rows, before adding a sc border around both sides.

I also included a little prayer patch in the bag for my best friend for her nephew/soon-to-be-adopted son who just lost his mom. It's just something small to let him know that he is loved and that someone is praying for him. It measures about 14" square, and was made in the same way as a lovey, but with a more elaborate border.

1 comment:

  1. I am using a smaller hook and would like to make this wider. I'm new at crocheting. What would the multiple be to increase the width?

    ReplyDelete