Friday, June 14, 2013

Daycare Freedom Day 2: Magnets from Dollar Store Puzzles

After I dropped Elijah off at daycare this morning, I did a little shopping - Marshall's and Old Navy (finally found a pair of jeans, but need to have my husband make sure they look flattering from the back, if you know what I mean). In between Marshall's and Old Navy is a Michael's, and of course I had to go in. I walked out with a clearance  stamp set, a bracelet, some wooden beads and magnet tape.

I got home, made some lunch, and set about using the magnet tape. I've been collecting dollar store puzzles for a while in preparation of this project. I took all the puzzle pieces and added small pieces of magnet tape to the backs and stuck them to our back door. We have a stainless steel refrigerator, so our back door gets all the magnets.

I think Elijah is going to be pleasantly surprised when he gets home today.

 
We have shape pieces, numbers and matching robot pieces, alphabet (with French, no less), and the train, house and ambulance are made from real wood puzzle. The school bus is just a painted piece of wood that I picked up at Michael's - Elijah LOVES school  buses. On the left, are some Chuggington magnets that came with a magnetic book, and Lightning McQueen and Mater magnets made from chipboard cutouts (find them in the sticker section of the craft store).
 
Of course, we won't be leaving all of these up there. For example, Elijah is learning how to count to five, but the six through ten pieces probably aren't needed right now. The pentagon, hexagon and octagon also will not be staying. I'm also going to take the alphabet down for now, as he has a train that has alphabet blocks already.
 
I'm planning on hanging a mail sorter on the wall next to this door and putting the pieces into envelopes, so Elijah can choose which ones he wants to play with...but that's a project for another day.
 
Now, I need to go grab some groceries and hit the dollar store for picture frames for our Father's Day gifts (check them out tomorrow) before I pick the boy up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment