Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Naptime: Day 7 - Fabric Covered Button Bracelet Tutorial

So, I've seen these kinds of bracelets on etsy and pinterest, and I thought I'd give it a try. Super easy and super fast!


Materials:
small amount of fabric (this is a great way to use up scraps)
cover button kits - I used 3/4" and 5/8" (second one isn't pictured because I realized I needed smaller buttons halfway into the project)
scissors
pliers
E-6000 or similar adhesive
bracelet blank

Step 1: Cut out the pattern from the back of the button kit

Step 2: Cut out your fabric.

Step 3: Flatten the metal piece used to sew the button on to things (I tried to use the pliers to remove it, but that proved to arduous...so I just flattened them instead - worked fine) Note: If you're using the pliers from your husband's toolbox in the garage, wash them first. Notice in the materials picture how the handles look black? I used them, took one look at my grime covered hand and washed them. Surprise, the handles are blue!

Step 4: Put the fabric wrong side up on the mold.

Step 5: Push the button shell into the mold (I used one handle on the pliers)

Step 6: Push the fabric into the button shell and lay the button back down on top.

Step 7: Use the pusher to push the button back into the button shell.

Step 8: Pop the button out, and admire it! They are super cute!

Step 9: Use your adhesive to glue the buttons onto the bracelet blank. I did this in two steps (mostly because I realized that I had to go buy the smaller button cover kit). Do this in a ventilated area as the glue is rather potent. I found it easier to place the buttons upside down on a paper plate and glue them. That way the once I had already glued down didn't move as much when I glued the other ones on. And when I needed to move the bracelet to a safer area to dry, I just picked up the plate.
 

Step 10: Let dry - I wait 24 hours just to be safe.

Step 11: Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment